What could be better to come home to after a long blustery walk than the smell of freshly baked crumble? That’s where we took our inspiration for this shot; with the crumpled map as an added touch, bringing hedgerow-lined walks on an autumnal afternoon to life.
COOK AND PREP TIME: 1 HR 10 MINS
225g desiccated coconut
400g fresh or frozen blackberries
115g light brown sugar, plus 1 extra tbsp for sprinkling on top
290g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
- For a golden top that’s crumbly but moist, preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease a traybake tin with a little butter and line with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, desiccated coconut and sugar. Using your fingers, rub in the butter. Once the mixture has reached a doughy consistency, press half into the base of the tin.
- Once the base is in, place all your blackberries in a bowl and sprinkle over the tablespoon of sugar, squeeze in a little lemon juice and stir gently.
- As the blackberries soften, pour them into the tin on top of the dough base. Crumble the rest of the dough over the fruit, then bake for 40 minutes until decadently golden on top.